Monday, April 7, 2008

Arizona Zona

Day 1 - Lots and lots of driving. We packed the car, packed the dog and took off at around 1:30pm on Friday. When traveling with a 10 month old puppy stops are a necessity. Not just for her but for all of us. It's not easy sharing a small sedan with 4 people and a 25 lb dog that can't sit still.

So one of our many stops was at this rest stop outside of Yuma. Yuma is weird. It's all very retro so I couldn't not edit these photos to give them an old school 1970s vibe.

Anyway, we were seriously excited to spot one of our first cacti at this rest stop. And it was a big one. These things are so cool. I guess they only grow in this region of the world and I think they may even be an endangered species (or plant?) Anyway, you aren't allowed to cut them down, move them or do anything without permission from the state or the government or whatever. They are VERY protected.



This is my funky shot of the road leading back onto the highway. Yes, when I'm in Arizona I will refer to it as a highway and not a freeway. It just makes more sense that way.




Just a little rest stop photo shoot. No big deal.



After a few more stops we were getting close to the Wiley's. About a 1/2 hour from their home we caught one of the most gorgeous sunsets I've ever seen. I swear Arizona sunsets give ocean sunsets a run for their money. These were taken through the car window going about 80mph.





I so wish this last one with the cactus would've turned out a little better. It's really hard to time it when you're going so fast. Everyone in the car was trying to help me get the timing right so I would have a cactus in the shot. With my camera pressed up against the window someone would yell, "here comes another one.....ready.....shoot!" This was the best one I could get and it's still a little blurry. Why we didn't pull over to get the shot - I don't know.



There were a million more photos taken on Saturday when we spent the day in Sedona so I'll have to work at editing those and get them up as soon as I can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all the pics. It looks so beautiful there.

Erin said...

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics - I'm sure they're amazing.

Lindsay said...

Looking forward to seeing the rest!

Lyndsy said...

Your pics turned out great. The sunset shots are gorgeous :) Keep them coming!